Best Thomas Jefferson Quotes
Ads by Google
These are some of the best Thomas Jefferson quotes , mainly about government and attitude. Thomas Jefferson lived from 1743 to 1826 and was one of the Founding fathers of the United States of America. He was key to authoring the United States Declaration of Independence.
Thomas Jefferson Quotes
- "Nothing can stop the
man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on
earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."
- "We hold these truths to
be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed
by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are
life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
- "When angry count to ten before you speak. If very angry, count to one hundred."
- “I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than
standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by
posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a
- "Our greatest happiness
does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us,
but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation,
and freedom in all just pursuits."
- "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be."
- "It is our duty still to
endeavor to avoid war; but if it shall actually take place, no matter
by whom brought on, we must defend ourselves. If our house be on fire,
without inquiring whether it was fired from within or without, we must
try to extinguish it."
- "It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong."
- "Experience demands that
man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no
milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor."
- "I know of no safe
depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people
themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise
their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it
from them but to inform their discretion."
- "Walking is the very best exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far."
- "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money."
More Thomas Jefferson quotes below.
Ads by Google
More Thomas Jefferson Quotes
- "Determine never to be
idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who
never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always
- "Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching."
- "Don't talk about what you have done or what you are going to do."
- "Were it left to me to
decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or
newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to
prefer the latter."
- "Friendship is but
another name for an alliance with the follies and the misfortunes of
others. Our own share of miseries is sufficient: why enter then as
volunteers into those of another?"
- "How much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened."
- "He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors."
- "I had rather be shut up in a very modest
cottage, with my books, my family, and a few old friends, dining on
simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy
the most splendid post which any human power can give."
- "In matters of principals, stand like a rock; in matters of taste, swim with the current."
- "Whenever you are to do a thing, though it can never be known but to
yourself, ask yourself how you would act were all the world looking at
you, and act accordingly."
- "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
behooves you, therefore, to think and act for yourself and your people.
The great principles of right and wrong are legible to every reader; to
pursue them requires not the aid of many counselors. The whole art of
government consists in the art of being honest. Only aim to do your
duty, and mankind will give you credit where you fail."
More Famous Quotes
You can find more Thomas Jefferson quotes and other famous quotes here:
Ads by Google