Best Virginia Woolf Quotes
Ads by Google
This is a collection of the best Virginia Woolf quotes. Adeline Virginia Woolf lived from 1882 to 1941was an English writer and modernist. Her most famous works are Mrs Dalloway, To the Lighthouse and Orland.
Virginia Woolf Quotes
- "Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more."
- "If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people."
- "It is far more difficult to murder a phantom than a reality."
- "Language is wine upon the lips."
- "Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded."
- “Growing up is losing some illusions, in order to acquire others.”
- “I thought how unpleasant it is to be locked out; and I thought how it is worse, perhaps, to be locked in.”
- “All extremes of feeling are allied with madness.”
- “What is the meaning of life? That was all- a simple question; one that
tended to close in on one with years, the great revelation had never
come. The great revelation perhaps never did come. Instead, there were
little daily miracles, illuminations, matches struck unexpectedly in the
dark; here was one.”
- “What does the brain matter compared with the heart?”
- “He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life.”
“Illusions are to the soul what atmosphere is to the earth.”
Ads by Google
- “Communication is truth; communication is happiness. To share is our
duty; to go down boldly and bring to light those hidden thoughts which
are the most diseased; to conceal nothing; to pretend nothing; if we are
ignorant to say so; if we love our friends to let them know it.”
More Virginia Woolf Quotes
- “The beauty of the world...has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.”
- "Yet, it is true, poetry is delicious; the best prose is that which is most full of poetry."
- "Great bodies of people are never responsible for what they do."
- "Sleep, that deplorable curtailment of the joy of life."
- "Mental fight means
thinking against the current, not with it. It is our business to
puncture gas bags and discover the seeds of truth."
- "I would venture to guess that Anon, who wrote so many poems without signing them, was often a woman."
- “Arrange whatever pieces come your way.”
- “It is in our idleness, in our dreams, that the submerged truth sometimes makes its way to the surface.”
“Never let anybody guess that you have a mind of your own. Above all be pure”
- “It is a thousand pities never to say what one feels.”
“Just in case you ever foolishly forget; I'm never not thinking of you.”
- “I feel that by writing I am doing what is far more necessary than anything else.”
- “There is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.”
- “Human beings have neither kindness, nor faith, nor charity beyond what serves to increase the pleasure of the moment.”
More Famous Quotes
Take a look at these other famous quotes if you have enjoyed these Virginia Woolf quotes.
Ads by Google