Best Voltaire Quotes
Ads by Google
This is a collection of some of the best Voltaire quotes. François-Marie Arouet lived from 1694 to 1778and was a writer, historian, and philosopher. His works include plays, poems, novels, essays, and historical and scientific works.
- “Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.”
- “The more I read, the more I acquire, the more certain I am that I know nothing.”
- “Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.”
- “It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.”
- “Faith consists in believing what reason cannot.”
- “Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden
path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road.”
- “If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.”
- “Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of the time.”
- “Don't think money does everything or you are going to end up doing everything for money.”
- “Man is free at the instant he wants to be.”
Ads by Google
- “It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”
More Voltaire Quotes
- "The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the extent of human stupidity.”
- “The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us”
- “May God defend me from my friends: I can defend myself from my enemies. ”
- “Our labour preserves us from three great evils - weariness, vice, and want.”
- “The happiest of all lives is a busy solitude.”
- “Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law.”
- “When it is a question of money, everybody is of the same religion.”
- “It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.”
- "No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
Ads by Google
- "It is vain for the coward to flee; death follows close behind; it is only by defying it that the brave escape."
Even More Voltaire Quotes
- "Prejudices are what fools use for reason."
- “Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her; but once they
are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order
to win the game.”
- “History never repeats itself. Man always does.”
- "Common sense is not so common."
- “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well.”
- "I die adoring God, loving my friends, not hating my enemies, and detesting superstition."
- "We never live; we are always in the expectation of living."
- “when man was put into the garden of eden, he was put there with the
idea that he should work the land; and this proves that man was not born
to be idle.”
- "The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."
- "Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity."
More Famous Quotes
If you have found these Voltaire quotes helpful you will also love these other famous quotes.